Rails on the Run

Rails experiments by Matt Aimonetti

Browsing Posts in Gems & Libs

To celebrate the relaunch of this site and since we are waiting for Rails 3.0 beta to be released, I figured I should share with you what I worked on the other night.

I merged patches, refactored and released a new version of googlecharts, my Gem to create graphs using Google Chart API.

sudo gem install googlecharts

Here is a quick example of how the API works when dealing with a complex graph:

require 'gchart' # or require 'googlecharts' if you prefer to use the Googlecharts constant.
title = "Player Count"
size = "575x300"
data = [85,107,123,131,155,172,173,189,203,222,217,233,250,239,256,267,247,261,275,295,288,305,322,307,325,347,331,346,363,382,343,359,383,352,374,393,358,379,396,416,377,398,419,380,409,426,453,432,452,465,436,460,480,440,457,474,501,457,489,507,347,373,413,402,424,448,475,488,513,475,507,530,440,476,500,518,481,512,531,367,396,423,387,415,446,478,442,469,492,463,489,508,463,491,518,549,503,526,547,493,530,549,493,520,541,564,510,535,564,492,512,537,502,530,548,491,514,538,568,524,548,568,512,533,552,577,520,545,570,516,536,555,514,536,566,521,553,579,604,541,569,595,551,581,602,549,576,606,631,589,615,650,597,624,646,672,605,626,654,584,608,631,574,597,622,559,591,614,644,580,603,629,584,615,631,558,591,618,641,314,356,395,397,429,450,421,454,477,507,458,490,560,593]
Gchart.line(:title => title, :size => size, :data => data, :axis_with_labels => 'x,y', :line_color => '1e60cc', :axis_labels => [(1.upto(24).to_a << 1)], :max_value => 700, :custom => 'chg=10,15,1,0')

Which provides you with the url or image tag (or downloaded file) that produces the following graph:

Google Chart

This release works great with Ruby 1.9 and MacRuby, lots of bugs got fixed and some new features were added. Something a lot of people complained was that the gem was called googlecharts but that the main class was called Gchart. The problem was that I wrote my gem and called it Gchart and when I went to register the rubyforge project page, the name was already taken. In this release, I fixed this problem by allowing users to require and use the constant name they want, Gchart or Googlecharts. I also spent quite a lot of time cleaning up the old code which I was a bit ashamed of. Class variables are now removed and overall, the code should be a bit more sane.

The source code can be found in my GitHub accout and the documentation there.

Github, probably the most famous social code hosting service just redesigned their homepage and are now featuring hosted projects.

I got a very good surprise when Takeo from Powerset & Stafftool hall of fame mentioned to me that Github picked one of my gems as the first featured project!

github

By the way, Takeo is also a Googlecharts contributor (+ a Merbist) and I had the honor to be the first one he ever forked!

Another Googlecharts user, Mokolabs from Graffletopia and iCal Share also decided to try Git and Github. In no time he had forked my project, made some modifications and sent me a pull request. w00t w00t!

To celebrate, we released version 1.3.4 with cleaner documentation, and enhanced features.

Documentation & Code Repo

Thanks to everyone involved in this project. And special kudos to the GitHub team for offering such an awesome service!

I just released Googlecharts 0.1.0 (few bug fixes and enhancements).

  • The first thing you want to do is to install the gem
sudo gem install googlecharts

website

  • The third thing you want to do is to recommend me on Working with Rails ;)

  • The fourth thing you want to do is to submit patches, suggestions etc…

  • The fifth thing you want to do is to develop an awesome website using sexy googlecharts

This gem and its website have been made possible by DrNic and his awesome new gem generator and has been developed following the BDD approach thanks to RSpec :)